Top Gun & Weapons Lawyer in Cook County
If you have been charged with unlawful use of a weapon (UUW), Gun possession, No FOID card or other weapons charges, you want the best attorneys working on your case. Our attorneys are recognized as the best guns rights attorneys in Chicago and Cook County. If you are facing such charges in a community anywhere in the Greater Chicago metropolitan area, call one of our top ranked gun defense lawyers at 708.606.4386 to discuss our effective defense strategies.
Understanding Unlawful Use Of A Weapon Charges in Illinois
In Illinois, UUW charges can be applied to a wide range of weapons violations. Examples include:
– Carrying a concealed weapon without a permit
– Carrying a gun outside your home or place of business
– Possession of a silencer
– Transporting a firearm in a car without a valid firearm owner identification (FOID) card
Punishments for UUW Offenses
Illinois law provides the definitions, offenses, and penalties pertaining to UUW charges in the state. While many violations of this statute are classified as misdemeanors, an offender could face felony charges depending on the circumstances.
- If someone has a FOID card but was carrying an unloaded gun in an improper way, that person could be charged with a misdemeanor UUW. An UUW that is considered a Class A misdemeanor carries a maximum punishment of up to one year in jail and a fine up to $2,500. Court Supervision or Conditional Discharge is possible.
- Aggravated UUW carries harsher penalties in Illinois. If an individual carries a loaded gun on his or her person or in his or her vehicle without a FOID card and a Concealed Carry Permit, he or she can be arrested for Aggravated UUW. This means even visitors from out of state must comply with Illinois’ gun laws, or they could face such charges as well.
- Illinois residents can also be arrested and charged with a UUW if their FOID card is expired. Not realizing a FOID card had expired is not a plausible defense to a UUW or Aggravated UUW charge.
- An Aggravated UUW in Illinois is a Class 4 felony with the possibility of one to three years in prison. The majority of prosecutors are unwilling to negotiate for anything less than jail time regarding a UUW or an Aggravated UUW charge.
We are the best Guns and Weapons Lawyers in Chicago
In Illinois, the penalties for weapons violations can be severe. Unlawful use of a weapon can involve gun crimes, which can be prosecuted as misdemeanors or felonies depending on the circumstances of the case. If you or someone you know is facing such charges, you need skilled legal counsel to represent you. The experienced law firm of Edward Johnson & Associates P.C. can help reduce your charges or get them dropped altogether so you can get on with your life. Our diligent Joliet weapons charges defense attorney will fight for your rights. Call us today at 708.606.4386 to schedule a complimentary initial consultation.